Thursday, October 23, 2014

My Name is going to Mars

I submitted my name to be included on a NASA microchip to destinations beyond low-Earth orbit, including Mars. The micro-chip will take off aboard Orion, NASA's nextgen deepspace spacecraft,  on Dec. 4 2014 on a 4.5 hour flight-test, a two-orbit mission around Earth to test Orion’s systems. At the end of this short mission, my name will have to survive cringing speeds approaching 20,000 mph and temperatures near 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, before splashing down in the Pacific Ocean.

If all goes as planned, the  microchip will be carried aboard in future NASA exploration flights and missions to Mars in an arrangement that could see me accrue space miles as a member of a global-space-faring society, exciting stuff!

Below is my official 'boarding pass'


No comments:

Post a Comment